1. Write your fic.
2. Get it beta-ed. (Now why on earth should I do that?)
Harsh but true: some people won't read an un-betaed fic. Why? They think it'll be full of mistakes. So get it betaed, and get more readers!
3. Post it on LJ.
This is where it gets interesting. Aaaand where we start our new list. Ready? Still with me? AWESOME.
Stage One: Getting Fic From Word to LiveJournal
1. Have your fic document open in Word (or equivalent)
2. Make sure any words that are italicised, bolded or underlined have the necessary HTML markers around them. (Not sure what I'm talking about? Click here.)
3. Go to the 'Post an Entry page', at http://www.livejournal.com/update.bml.
4. Select the community you wish to post your fic to from the drop-down menu next to your icon.
+ You must be a member of this community. (But how do I join?)
+ What community you post the fic to will differ according to fandom.
e.g. Do not post Supernatural fic to a Harry Potter community, unless it's a crossover fic.
5. Click the HTML button. If it is selected, it will look like the picture below. RichText can be confusing and difficult to work with. I strongly suggest you avoid it.
6. Copy and paste your fic into the text box. I strongly suggest you space out your paragraphs and dialogue. This makes your fic easier to read. Let me show you what I mean.
Stage Two: Adding Important Extras
7. Add a header above the fic. (Why use a header? How do I add one?)
8. Add an LJ-cut. (What is that? Why and how do I add one?)
9. Press post and wait for comments!
(This didn't answer my question!)
Current Mood: hopeful